Drama Review: Marriage, Not Dating
Marriage, Not Dating (Gyeolhoneul Gidaehae - 연애 말고 결혼)
Length: 16 episodes, ~67 min each
Genre: Romantic Comedy
Hopefully (but regrettably) last drama until the semester ends! Because grades and.. yeah :((( This was a great summer watch with some fresh faces for me in the drama world. Out of the six leads, I’ve only seen Yeon Woo Jin in something! (Ojakgyo Brothers/Family).
- I adored the couple. I wasn’t obsessed but they were cute and I enjoyed rooting for them even when thing seemed dark!
- Han Groo is a delight and so is her character Jang Mi. She’s honest but not stupid or a complete pushover. Yeah she’s kind of a typical good girl character but her meddling ways never crossed the annoying line for me. And though, like many female leads, she’s a hard worker, she still has her own limits.
- Yeon Woo Jin was pretty funny in this. Quite a difference from when he was the grumpy younger brother in Ojakgyo. His character is kind of the typical male grouch except I love how he’s never straight up rude to the female lead for no reason and how he has his imperfections as well! (a little pessimistic, kinda nasty to people he doesn’t care much for, and not a perfect body)
- I liked how there was no evil character. Honestly, the closest is the male lead’s father and his.. friend. The lead’s mother may have been a stubborn and sometimes annoying character but I love how we get to see her break and see why she acts the way she does. Similarly, for Kang Se Ah, she does some pretty nasty things but she is still a person too and has her reasons.
- I loved the relationships between characters. How Yeo Reum was buds with and respected Gi Tae. How Jang Mi and Se Ah never got catty. Jang Mi’s relationship with Gi Tae’s mom and Gi Tae’s mom relationship with his grandma and aunt.
- It kind of made fun of itself? The format typically goes a couple minutes of a random scene and then the rest of the episode builds up to that random scene. So sometimes that random scene at the beginning was a bit misleading and almost made me think it’s be a typical kdrama moment when it was anything but!
- There was a slow week in the drama (episodes 11 and 12) but it wasn’t terrible.
- I’m not sure how I feel about Hyun Hee and Hoon Dong…
- Gi Tae’s dad sucks. But hey.. it’s the drama world so apparently at least one parent has to be terrible -___-
- I’m sure there are more but it’s no longer fresh in my memory :/
If you can’t already tell, I adored this drama. It’s not the best, but it seems like out of the 2014 dramas so far, a lot of people are placing this drama pretty high on their list. It’s cute and charming story-wise and character-wise!
Final Rating: 3.75/5. This is only my second kdrama of the year so I can’t really say how it compares to the rest but it’s a great rom-com if that’s what you’re into!
“I, only have memories of the good, soft and sweet times. How honest you are, how easily you smile, how cute you were… All that is still very clear in my mind. Even how your lips felt.”
The wedding, in the end, will not become a problem for the two of us. In the future, we will have to experience many discomforts and problems. Despite it all, if you and I can be together happily for even a single moment, then in that moment I believe that marriage is worth doing.
“Indeed, life is full of surprises. The worst comes with the best. But we can get through life because sometimes the best comes with the worst. Marriage will concern both our families, not just us. We’ll experience discomfort due to other family issues. Nevertheless, I think marriage is totally worth it if you and I can spend even a moment together”.
"There’s no such thing as eternal love. Nevertheless, I want to love you forever".
- “You can’t trust any men. Nevertheless, I want to trust you”.
“I never thought we’d end up together like this”.
“It seems like I have to let you go now. If you want to go, go ahead. Just be Gi Tae’s mom. Forget about being a perfect daughter-in-law, wife, and mom. Just be with Gi Tae as his mom. During this time, you’ve gone through many hardships. I sincerely thank you”.